Sunday, January 08, 2006

Ginkers

A few days ago Jeff wrote about a piece of local slang from his high school, specifically the word "rant" to describe a woman. Anyone who went to my high school would immediately think of the word "ginker" upon reading that. "Ginker" was a term unique to my town, although ginkers were everywhere in New Jersey during the 1980s. I have no idea why they were called that. You probably called them burnouts -- they were heavy-metal listeners who drove sleazy cars and had chain wallets and denim jackets. They might have smoked pot on ths bus, or made out with big-haired metal chicks against the lockers. (Actually the girls were ginkers too, or maybe "ginkettes".) Sometimes you would even see a ginker-in-training in the eighth or ninth grade. Other times some normal kid would come back from summer vacation in full ginker mode. Ginkerdom had a strange allure.

A kid named Andy was probably the biggest ginker of them all, at least in the class of '89. Nice guy, actually. Quite friendly. He wrote the names of a bunch of metal bands on the cover of one of my textbooks one time in ninth grade. (For the rest of the year people wondered why I seemed to be a fan of Celtic Frost.) I vividly remember him disrupting an assembly in the school auditorium one morning. The school had brought in a rock band -- probably a Christian rock band -- to tell us not to use drugs. (I am somewhat embarrassed to remember that they were called The Edge.) All Andy did was climb onto the stage and start clapping along with the band as he walked across in front of them, to the delight of the entire junior class. They suspended Andy from school for that. If another kid had done it, the deed wouldn't have drawn such a stiff punishment, but because of who he was, it was clear he was making a mockery of The Edge's well-meaning but completely ineffective performance.

The only other thing I know about Andy is that he was on America's Funniest Home Videos a couple of years later. He was on the custodial staff of the public library at the time, and he was caught rocking out by the security cameras as he vacuumed the reference section.

Anyway I bring this up because I located an Urban Dictionary citation for "ginker" the other day, after Jeff invited comments about local slang. In the three days since I linked to that page in the comments section of Jeff's blog, someone has posted a very lengthy and hilariously accurate definition of "ginker". It's currently definition #4, but it may rise in the rankings as people give it the thumbs-up. I'd love to take credit for the posting, but I didn't write it, and neither did my brother, class of '86. (The "Ginkovitz" thing is clearly fictitious, although the writer had me going there for a moment.)

The farther my high-school experience slips into the past, the funnier New Jersey in the late 1980s looks. Could it really have been like that? Were those people real?


FMFM: Quincy Jones' The Quintessence, on what is probably the thickest, nicest piece of vinyl I've ever owned. This one's from his era of more traditional big-band orchestration, although I've been digging the funkier, weirder Gula Matari and especially Walking In Space lately too.

6 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Rob said...

I am doing a documentary on Ginkers...if you would like to be a part of it, definitely hit us up at myspace.com/ginkerfilm

or email rucksackfilms@gmail.com

thanks

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a ginker. Class of 88. Amazing days I will never forget.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Paulie G. said...

I remember Andy Christopher as well, Dave Berger, you were not as big a ginker as I was. Paul Ganzell EB Class of 1987

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, how did I even find this article? EB class of '88 here.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was in the midst of all of it!! We Ruled!! E.B.H.S. 1985, Fun N Games, brunswick Square Mall, Park's, Wood's,Movie City Five,You Name It!! A Lot Of Fun, Sort of Innocent (sometime's)!!!!! Good Ole'Day's!!!!!!

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WELL IT IS NICE TO TALK TO OTHER EB GRADUATES BUT YOU GUYS WERE ON THE TAIL END I GRADUATED IN 83 SO FROM 78 IM JUNIOR HIGH THRY HAD THE BACK PATH AT HAMMARSKJOLD THEY HAD THE BACK PATH GINKER HEADQUARTERS W3LL I PLAYED SPORYS AND VARSITY SPORTS BUT I WAS NOT IN THE JOCK CROWD AND I WAS FRIENDS WITH THEM BUT PEOPLE WERE TERRIFIED TO GO BY THE PACK PATH THEN IN HIGH SCHOOL MOVIE CITY 5 WAS HUGE AND IN THE SUMMER TO GET A GOOD PARKING SPOT AT BURGER KING YOU HAD TO BE THETE BEFORE DARK AND OTHER TOWNS WITH CAR FULL OF KIDS WOULD DRIVE IN LOOKING FOR A FIGHT AND WE WOULD ACTUALLY MAKE DATES TO MEET AND BRAWL BELIEVE THOSE GINKERS WERE THE FIRST ONES TO COME FOR BACK UP THEY MAY HAVE HATED MOST OF THE OTHER KIDS IN SCHOOL BUT THEY HAD TOWN PRIDE AND WOULD STAND SHOULDER TO SHOULDER WITH YOU AND WE ALWAYS COMBINED WITH THE SOUTH RIVER CREW WHAT EVER STORIES I HEARD ABOUT EB AGAINST SR DID NOT HAPPEN EITH US WR WERE ALL GOOD FRIENDS AND IF YOU FOUGHT ONE TOWN YOU HAD TO FIGHT THE OTHER WE WOULD HAVE OVER 100 HINDRED DUDES THETE READY TO BRAWL AND WE JAD SOME GOOD ONES BUT WE NEVER WENT LOOKING FOR IT I GUESS IT WAS A BIG WIN IF YOU COULD GO TO MC5 AND COME OUT THE WINNET WE NEVER LOST TOWNS LIKE OLD BRUDGE,MANALAPAN BIG ENEMY HACK THEN PROBABLY FOUGHT THEM THE MOSY ,MONROE,EDISON,SAYREVILLE, WOODBRIDGE A COUPLE OF OTHER TOWNS ALL OUT BTAWLS WOULD START AT BK PARKING LOT AND EXPAND TO AS FAR AS IN FRONT OF MC5 AND THE POOL STORE THEN COPS EOULD SWARM IN ALOT OF PEOPLE GOT BUSTED BUT THE GUTS I WOULD GO THETE WITH WE EOULD EITHER PARK HEHIND MC5 AND RUN THRU THAT LITTLE OPENING BY THE THEATER TO GET OUT BACK ORVWALK THETE BECAUSE WE LIVED ON THE PTESIDENT STREETS SO WE WOULD RUN UP INTO THE CEMETRY IN OBTKP OR RUN AROUND THE BACK OF MC5 THEN TO THE BIG TENNIS CLUB RHEN ACROSS RT 18 BUT THOSE WERE THE DAYS FEEL SORRY FOR THESE TODAY THEY WILL NEVER THE FUN MEMORIES THAT WE HAD I WOULD NEVER TRADE THAT TIME FOR ANYTHING

 

Post a Comment

<< Home