Friday, July 15, 2005

"No, I'm thinking rock climbing.... mañana"

One of our numerous PBS affiliates is airing Sandwiches You Will Like, the one-hour documentary about sandwich shops around the U.S., this morning. This program has already driven me to New Orleans' Central Grocery, and I expect it will bring me to a few more eateries in the coming years.

I'm wondering if any of you far-flung correspondents, or any of you frequent travelers, can comment on any of the other establishments in the program. Natick, Mass.? Louisville, Ky.? Chicago? Watertown, Mass.? Let's hear it.

I suppose anything wrapped in a tortilla isn't a sandwich. (I'm a little confused by the whole "wrap" phenomenon of the past few years too.) But the San Francisco burrito would've been a good candidate for this program. I wonder which place they would've picked. I'm not quite a loyalist anywhere, but my most frequent spots are:

-Chino's on Balboa (most local, not bad, far from best in city though)
-El Beach Burrito on Judah (best name, pretty nearby, generous portions)
-Taqueria La Playa on Noriega (fresh and tasty, great mahi-mahi tacos too)
-Taqueria Can-Cun on Mission (the mojado!)

The worst burrito I've eaten here? It was either someplace on Polk a couple of blocks north of the Hemlock Tavern, or at Alteña Restaurant (not Taqueria Alteña!) on Mission below Cesar Chavez immediately before a gig at the Odeon. Nasty.


FMFM: Sonny Stitt's duels with Gene Ammons, before the PBS program

3 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Kelly's Roast Beef, of course.

The Soldier's System Center in Natick: I used to work about a mile from there. I'm not aware of them selling sandwiches to the public, as they're part of the Natick Army Labs. I think you need special clearance to get in there. I may be wrong.

Watertown - never tried that one...

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger MH said...

I've had a hot brown, but not at the Brown Hotel...would have to see their version to be sure, but the one I had wouldn't have qualified as a sandwich. Haven't had any Italian beef since I've been back in Chicago, either...blasphemous.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Elbo said...

I'd be interested in hearing about Taqueria Can-Cun's inspections. As of now, however, they've got a perfect score.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home