Thursday, October 12, 2006

Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies

A veteran amateur pilot, and a former co-worker of mine, has interesting observations regarding the Cory Lidle crash.


FMFM: R.E.M.'s And I Feel Fine, the best-of comp from the IRS years (pre-1987). A good deal of this disc is merely of historical interest, and there is no new song I would deem essential. But the onstage material from Boston and Holland makes a damn good case for R.E.M. as a first-rate live band. (Does Stipe still tell those stories before songs?) Regrettably, I missed seeing them in the club days. I was awfully close to going into NYC that night in 1987 when they played the Ritz, but I was barely 15 at the time. I never bothered in the arena/shed era. Maybe I should've.

[UPDATE: I was unclear about something: By "this disc," I was referring specifically to Disc Two, the only reason I would own such a product as this. Disc One is a traditional best-of, while Disc Two consists largely of live material, outtakes and other rarities. I will say, however, that the remastering makes a big difference on the material I already own. Side-by-side comparisons with Eponymous are like night and day, and while my original wax still sounds great, I've been hearing things on cuts like "Pilgrimage" that I've never noticed before.]

1 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger MH said...

R.E.M. was an amazing band in the club days. I saw them a few times in the '85-'87 time period, and I was blown away. When they hit the sheds, that's when I started to lose interest. You didn't miss anything in that case.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home