Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Strict time

Ordinarily I would have blogged about the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in this space, but I'm saving it up for the next issue of No Depression. They don't publish too much online, but if they do post my review I'll send you there when it happens. Please consider buying the magazine anyway! It's always full of worthwhile reading.


FMFM: The Hold Steady's Boys And Girls In America, a Big Statement record currently facing an out-of-control hype machine. (I realize this is the third time I've mentioned it myself.) The big guitars match the band's big intentions -- cinematic rock largely about dashed expectations of legendary love -- and although there were times I wish they'd reached a little nearer, I can't deny that Craig Finn's characters are powerfully drawn. They matter. I'm behind this one, especially when I'm driving around on nights when I'm starting to think Sal Paradise was right too. See you next week, boys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home