Wednesday, July 05, 2006

"Mood Indigo" on YouTube


I can't quite read the copyright date because my eyes have never been good enough to hit the curveball, but I think it says MCMLXII -- 1952. I'm guessing that the bass clarinetist here is the always-reliable Harry Carney. The trombonists do not include Juan Tizol, who played a valved instrument. (They could be Quentin Jackson and Britt Woodman, who appear on Ellington Uptown from the same era.) Based on some old photos, I'm speculating that the clarinetist playing the familiar soprano instrument may be Russell Procope, and the trumpeter is probably Clark Terry. I think you know who the piano player is, and his first phrase is his best one (although the rest of his solo is fine, fine).

I'd never heard a two-trombone arrangement of this piece before. Part of the magic of the 1930 recording of "Mood Indigo" comes from the tonal blend from pitching the trombone part above the clarinet part, which doesn't happen the same way here. But the execution from this group remains flawless, the phrasing exquisite. Worth your 4:16. This is the way they used to do it: live, with no mistakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home