Saturday, January 28, 2006

Hubris

In which a sympathetic character/heroine, lightning rod for righteous indignation and emblem of all that is just and good as the Powers That Be try to silence her wounded cries, chooses to become the bubbleheaded clown the opposing meanies say she is -- and a power-grabbing one at that. Ms. Cindy Sheehan, you have officially jumped the shark. Kindly move on. I bet even David Letterman thinks Bill O'Reilly is smarter than you now.


FMFM: The Modern Jazz Quartet At Music Inn Featuring Jimmy Giuffre, a subtle, low-key outing in which Giuffre proves to be the perfect complement to the hornless Quartet's sound: roomy, lustrous, genteel.

1 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Elbo said...

Well for one thing I am not now and have never been a pacifist, and I don't want my state represented by one. Pacifism implies a kind of absolutism -- that all armed conflict is wrong -- that I just don't subscribe to. It's more like religious behavior to me, and I'm, um, more reality-based than that.

As for Sheehan, I sympathize greatly with her personal loss, and I thought her protest in Crawford was a smart way to call attention to human loss for which there is no proper justification. But being a Senator is not merely "joining a club." It is leadership, and I do not view her as much of a leader of people for any purpose outside of garnering support for the anti-war movement. And there is more to being a Senator than that.

Virtually any claim you could lob at Arnold Schwarzenegger regarding his inexperience, you could lob at Cindy Sheehan. Is she really the best we can do? I mean, really.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home