Thursday, October 06, 2005

"Mark it 8, dude"

"I'd rather know Jimmie Dale Gilmore than the pope."

Uncle Warren, the man who gave us that fun weekend, speaks again. I think I enjoyed the J.D. Crowe set the best. The most touching moment was Doc Watson's insertion of a subtle reference to his late son Merle in "I Am A Pilgrim." I'm not sure if he's always done it that way. Other highlights for me included Del McCoury's excellent set, Dr. Ralph, Los Super Seven, and Earl Scruggs.

I left before Dolly Parton -- that side stage turned into an absolute circus before showtime -- but it's hard to believe 200,000 people were there. That's almost half a Woodstock.

1 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Blogger Elbo said...

Nope, although I imagine he could conceivably be somewhat Dude-like on occasion. (In the parlance of our times: sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar eats you.) But Jimmie Dale Gilmore is, of course, the bowler named Smokey whose toe allegedly slips over the foul line, prompting a member of the Dude's team, Walter Sobchak, to draw a firearm during league play.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home