Thursday, October 13, 2005

In media res

Today I'm looking for songs whose lyrics begin with the word "and," as if the songwriter begins in the middle of a thought.

Here are three:

"It Makes No Difference" by The Band
"Walk Away Renée" by The Left Banke
"Andmoreagain" by Love

Who's got one? I can't decide whether starting a song with "and" is a provocative device that can add a lot of meaning, or merely a trite conceit worthy of a second-semester poetry class.

Yeah, I know, I'm full of terribly interesting stuff today. Must be almost as fascinating as my mental list of songs that end with a tambourine shaking over the dying final chord. But help me out, will ya?


FMFM: Rick Danko's magnificent lead vocal on the Last Waltz version of "It Makes No Difference." Robbie's guitar parts are pretty great too. It's hard to believe they were on enough cocaine to kill a rhinoceros.

3 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

This is a magnificent topic!

Only two comes to mind right away,

Peter Gabriel's "..And Through The Wire"
U2's "A Sort Of Homecoming"

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Elbo said...

Got one more!

"And if I say to you tomorrow..." are the first words of "What Is And What Should Never Be" by Led Zeppelin.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Elbo said...

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home