Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Geek update

The so-called Web 2.0 technology known as Really Simple Syndication (RSS) probably isn't news to anyone who reads this page, but it wasn't until today that I finally deployed it. And now that I have, I believe I've changed my Web browsing habits forever.

If you're like me, you typically hit the same dozen or so Web sites multiple times in a day. For me, most of those are blogs, news and sports sites, as well as my Web-based e-mail accounts. But many of my visits merely reveal that the sites haven't been updated since my last visit -- a waste of a click, and of a moment of my oh-so-precious time.

Now, though, I've aggregated feeds from all those sites onto a NetVibes page, which automatically lets me know when I have new e-mail, when someone has updated his blog, or when any of my several favorite news sites updates its list of top stories. For the first time in years -- or maybe ever -- I'm no longer using a commercial search engine or portal as my homepage. It's all about me now. Wow!


FMFM: The Trio, a racing, hectic mid-career live date from Oscar Peterson, along with Joe Pass and Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home