Monday, October 31, 2005

A Monday Night Party!


I was Hank Williams Jr. for Halloween.

And you?


FMFM: XTC's Skylarking, to which I've returned a million times over the years. Todd Rundgren's production adds lushness without really giving in to the awful tendencies of 1986. Andy and Colin somehow pulled a vague concept album out of songs about female superheroes, bugs in brandy, rainstorms and love al fresco. And "Season Cycle," the one that pulls the concept together, finds the band at its most obscenely hooky, with some of the best backing vocals in their history. (I do wish my copy had "Mermaid Smiled," though.) One hundred points.

3 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger MH said...

Nice job on the costume, Jr.

I was always partial to "Earn Enough for Us" from that record. I haven't listened to that one in ages, in part because my roommate at the time wore it out.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger E.L.M. said...

I slipped on the mullet wig, now several years old and looking more like a decapitated beaver, my Coke-bottle nerd glasses, and my hideous rust-and-tartan wool blazer, and met the Fanch on Irving St. for a late dinner. A few teenage girls giggled at me, otherwise I got no reaction whatsoever.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Can I have that guitar?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home