Sunday, November 14, 2004

It's also true that I lost the map

When I look at the 3-D electoral map that's made the rounds these past few days, I think several thoughts.

*Why is Chicago the tallest one? I guess New York has five separate counties, but what about L.A.?

*Man, Atlanta and St. Louis are small towns these days. And I guess that population boom in Vegas isn't as big as I thought.

*The somewhat disproportionate height and size of Alaska (pop. c. 650,000) highlights a (relatively minor) flaw in these kind of maps. They don't have any counties up there, do they?

*Thanks, Mono County. You too, Imperial.

*Though Dan Savage says every city with a population over half a million went to Kerry, it sure looks like two-million-plus Houston belonged to GWB. Also Dallas, San Diego, Salt Lake City, OKC, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Indianapolis and some other places of considerable size. Not sure exactly what's happening in Denver. I guess some of those counties include suburbs too. I'm not sure what the population is in all those cities. But some of them are pretty substantial towns.

*What's the deal with all these Blue counties across central Alabama, down along the lower Mississippi, and tucked away in places like Eastern Kentucky, the Piedmont of South Carolina and western South Dakota? What don't you have in common with all the other rural places that went Red?

*Hawaii got electoral votes, didn't they?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home